Rogue fireworks hit 14 people at bonfire display

Rogue fireworks hit 14 people at public bonfire display
A girl was struck in the back, burning her coat (Picture: Aaron-Paul Buckerfield)

More than a dozen people were hit by stray fireworks after a public display went wrong.

A shocking photo shows holes burnt into a 13-year-old girl’s coat after she was struck by them at the free event on Saturday night.

Hotel bosses have apologised after rogue fireworks shot past the safety cordon and into crowds during a free display at their grounds.

The display immediately came to an end after the accident, which was at the Antrobus Hotel in Amesbury, Wiltshire.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

An ambulance spokesman said 14 people were treated. although none were seriously injured.

A hotel spokesman said: ‘A single display box, containing multiple fireworks, malfunctioned at (Saturday’s) display.

‘Regrettably, despite the safety cordon exceeding the manufacturer’s guidelines, some projectiles ejected towards the crowd line.

‘The display was immediately ended and emergency services called. It is now apparent that thankfully no serious injuries occurred, with all injured treated at the scene.

‘The hotel’s team put on (Saturday’s) free event as a community event and worked diligently with the suppliers to ensure that (the) event was safe and exceeded requirements in respect of safety and distance.

Rogue fireworks hit 14 people at public bonfire display
The display immediately ended (Picture: Facebook/ SHaina Lucas)
Rogue fireworks hit 14 people at public bonfire display
(Picture: Facebook/ SHaina Lucas)
Rogue fireworks hit 14 people at public bonfire display
(Picture: Facebook/ SHaina Lucas)

‘We are mortified about what has occurred and would like to apologise to all those affected, please rest assured that a full investigation will take place.’

Earlier, a post on the venue’s Facebook page said the hotel wanted to ‘apologise profusely for this very regrettable situation’.

The venue remained closed for the rest of Saturday, but reopened on Sunday.

A South Western Ambulance Service spokesman said: ‘We attended and treated 14 people, none of whom had serious injuries and none of whom needed to be taken to hospital.’

MORE: White people agree to stop ‘blacking-up’ for bonfire celebration

MORE: First snow of the year hits UK with temperatures set to plummet tonight

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Previous Post
Next Post